Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hairy Worms

Have thought quite a bit about lures from years ago recently.  I'm speaking of lures that my Dad had purchased from the sporting goods aisle of drug, grocery (yes, that's no mistake), and department stores back in the 1960s and '70s.  I have their visions in my mind, though not always their names.  One that I remembered from my Dad's tackle box is Gapen's Hairy Worm.

Some background on this jig can be found in this link:  Recent Rambles - Bill Scifres, February 2006

So, inspired by this lure from yesteryear, I tied a few of my own Hairy Worms.

I plan to fish them in my local river and reservoir.  The bodies are chenille-wrapped and the tails are bobbed.  Length varies.  Also pictured are a few Jig-N-Worms with craft fur tails.  Each is tied on a 1/8-oz. ball head jig with a # 2 bronze hook.

5 comments:

  1. I've been tying hair jigs for many years now mostly for trout on the Nipigon river, but I have never heard of a hairy worm pattern before. Hair jig patterns for brook trout can be closely guarded secrets around these parts. I found many good ideas on your blog that I will try to incorporate into some of my jigs for this season. I will visit again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your compliment and thank you for visiting. Hair jigs and brook trout seem like an intriguing combination to me. :)

      Delete
  2. Please explain how you get the bobbed tail. Looks very interesting. I have furled chenille in the past but you lose action when furling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johntrout52,

    Currently, I fold two cut pieces of the chenille yarn and tie it in as a "cross" onto the very end of my lace or cord. This gives my worm the "bob" before I wrap the chenille forward to complete the wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave it a try and I like the effect. Thanks for sharing. By the way, I love the LashMax yarn. Good find. I fish lots of pig boats and this is easier than dealing with silicon skirts.
    jk

    ReplyDelete