Friday, August 28, 2009

The Whip Finish By Hand

As a fly-tying youngster, my finishing knot consisted of a series of half hitches. It wasn't until I started tying jigs, years later, that I taught myself to tie a whip finish by hand. I tried reading the many descriptions and illustrations available in fly tying books and was unable to train myself to perform it properly. Finally, I found the following link which made tying the whip finish second nature to me. Much like shifting a manual transmission or riding a bicycle, I rarely think about what it takes to tie this knot.

Whip Finish by Hand

It's pretty neat because I don't need any specialized whip finishing tool other than a fine-point punch or dubbing needle. Even one of those isn't absolutely necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment