Monday, April 4, 2011

Show 'n' Tell - Acrylic Eyes and Polyurethane

I did a little powder painting this weekend.  Went 2 for 6 while using a lighter as a heat source.  :D  Will use my heat gun when the bench in my garage is fully ready. ;)

I added eyes to the jigs using acrylic paint, applied three coats (dips) of polyurethane, then "heat" set the jigs with a hair dryer.  Was satisfied with everything until...


I finished drying my jig pictured at the top of the photo.

Acrylic paint often forms what I refer to as a "pimple".  It is a tiny mound in the paint which recedes as the paint dries.  Often, a pimple will collapse into a tiny "hole" when fully dried.

My point to this post is... make sure your eyes are fully dried before you apply a polyurethane topcoat.  The topcoat will collapse into the pimple's hole when the underlying jig eye is still wet.  Sometimes, the result is what I've shown by my gray jig pictured above.  A collapse occurred at the bottom of the pupil.

No comments:

Post a Comment