Thursday, October 27, 2011

Recent Fishing Trips - October 20-23 & October 26

Took a trip down to Hixson, Tennessee with the intention to visit my in-laws last week.  Well... most never saw me as my wife told me to go fish.  And fish I did. :)

Spent all four mornings of October 20th through the 23rd fishing below the Chickamauga Lake Dam on the Tennessee River.  A sportsman's paradise.  There are many different species of gamefish to catch there and what a productive river!


Spent most of my time fishing near bridge abutments.  White bass were schooling and willing to bite.  Spotted bass provided some good battles too.  I caught a few largemouth bass, yellow bass, bluegill, and two of my largest black crappie of the year.  Unfortunately, I do not have photos of the crappie.  This became a fishing trip for me, so sorry about the lack of photos.  I fished! :)

My crappie were easily better than 12 inches long.  By how much? I'm unsure.  I caught them on hand-tied craft fur jigs (1/8-ounce) similar to those pictured below, but with red hooks.

I could not entice the white bass with these surprisingly.  Most of those were caught on Yum Mystic Minnows.

Pictured below are two of my white bass catches.  The first is slightly smaller than my average catch.  The second is one of the brutes.  I believe that I caught about 15-20 white bass each morning.  Many were similar in size to the fish in the second picture.

That's a three-inch long swimbait lying across the fishes mouth.  This was truly a nice-sized fish which put up a heck of a battle.

Here is a photo of one of the "fishermen" fishing next to me during the trip, a much better fisherman than I.

Finally, I did a little shore casting over at Eagle Creek Reservoir in Indianapolis last night.  Caught a total of 33 white bass and 8 yellow bass in just under two hours.  Fished a black-bodied, silver-bladed UV Roostertail Spinner (1/8-ounce).  Often, the fish hit the lure just as it entered the water.  My largest was a white bass of about 12 inches in length.  It was nice to catch so many white bass since I did not catch any true bass other than yellow bass there last year.

The rest of the lures that I fished:

Pictured clockwise from top left:
  • Yum Mystic Minnow
  • 1/6-ounce white Roostertail
  • 1/8-ounce white Roostertail
  • 1/8-ounce black UV Roostertail
  • 1/16-ounce black Roostertail
  • 1/4-ounce yellow Roostertail
  • Captain Mick's Minnow Swimbait

No comments:

Post a Comment