Thursday, April 25, 2013

Useful Tools

Here are a couple of tools that are, maybe, somewhat uncommon among fly and jig tyers.  The first one is a pair of reverse action tweezers.


This tool is useful for picking up googly eyes and then applying them to dumbbell eyes or recessed jig heads, each coated with super glue gel.  It does take a little practice though.  If you can use chopsticks, I think that your learning curve will be short.  Once comfortable with them, you'll find that it is much easier to maneuver the eyes over small areas than to use your fingers to do so.

The next tool is called an offset nail nipper.


I began trimming the unwanted lead from my jigs using a crafter's flush cutter.  Did so for a very long time, until I discovered this tool.  It offers better control of cuts than the flush cutter which has a tendency to pinch and remove more than I really want.  I can cut away burrs and barbs very precisely.  It makes for a better-looking jig head on which to tie.

No comments:

Post a Comment