Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Favorite Threads

Which do you like to use?  These are the ones that I use most often.
  • UTC Ultra Thread - A very good flat-waxed, nylon thread.  Like the situation where a well-fitting suit makes a person look good, it makes a good tyer an even better one and an average tyer seem pretty good.  Best for collared jigs in my opinion.
  • Round Nylon - I purchased a box of several spools of old Gudebrod Gude-Wind Nylon thread which I like a lot.  I use it on jigs without collars weighing 1/8 of an ounce or more.
  • Trilobal Polyester -  The 40-wt embroidery threads work well for applications involving jigs without collars.  Their color selections rival those of the fly tying thread manufacturers.  Coats & Clark makes very good ones.
  • Nylon or Polyester Monofilament - I really don't know why I like it so much.  Monofilament has memory that can sometimes spring its wraps away from a hook shank.  Maintain its tension and it will stay controllable.  I like the clear and smoke-colored ones measuring  0.004 of an inch in diameter.  Coats & Clark makes both types which are readily available at most fabric, craft, and department stores.
Note:
  • Rayon is used in decorative sewing thread.  It seems weak to me, so I stay away from it.  Be sure to read the spool's label when choosing a sewing thread to tie jigs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment