Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Bug-Eyed Wooly Fishhead

I recently obtained some very nice unfinished "fish head" jig heads, so I decided to work with them this weekend. Here's what I've come up with so far, the Bug-Eyed Wooly Fishhead.


Materials:
  • Low-temperature glue gun with clear glue sticks to form 3-D eyes
  • Hole punch - 1/4-in. diameter
  • Black acrylic paint for eye pupils
  • A 3/16-ounce "fish head" jig with a 1/0 black nickel sickle hook (I think... ;) )
  • UTC Ultra Thread 140 denier - olive
  • Flymasters Wapsi Flashabou  Accent - red
  • Clover Natural Wool Roving - moss green and ash
  • Maybelline Express Nail Polish - go go green (jig head)
  • Sally Hansen Hard As Nails - cardinal (gills and back of jig head)
  • Devcon 2T Epoxy for topcoat
This new-to-me style of jig head inspired me to seek and try out a different type of hair.  I like the way the hair formed and looks around the hook.  It appears relatively dense.  I hope that it has good action.  Being dense, it certainly forms a nice profile.

Wool absorbs water and sinks like a rock.  So, this jig will be used for swimming and hopping.  The key here will be limited stopping time.

The 3-D eyes are new to me as well.  I crafted my own using pointers from David Jaroscak.  You can find them in this link.

2 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely awesome, should be just the trick. Can I ask where you received your fish head jigs from? I'm looking to make some of my own and can't seem to find those particular heads. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your compliment. The jigs come from a custom mold. I received them from a private individual.

    ReplyDelete