Sunday, July 31, 2011

Reviving A Flawed Implement

Last winter, I purchased a pair of curved cuticle scissors sight unseen.  I expected them to be of the same dimensions and quality as my primary scissors of the same make and model.  These were to be my replacement pair when my primary pair wears out.

Well, I was disappointed.  The blades are a little wider and one of the points was blunt.  I put the scissors away and bought another pair made by a different manufacturer.  A couple of days ago, I was cleaning out my scissors drawer when I spotted them.  Several thoughts later, I grabbed a triangular file and took action.


Took an approach similar to sharpening lawn mower blades and filed down along the curve of the blade with the blunt point.  Then, I filed along both of its sides to create a pinpoint tip.  My result?  Well, the blades remain a little thick to my liking, but the points are needle fine.  It's now a wonderful pair of scissors for trimming hair and cutting thread at knots.

I used just my hands to hold the scissors and file.  Though, my bench vise could have made my effort a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment