Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Up My Sleeve: Nail Polish

So much of my web site is devoted to show and tell, that I think it's due for a little more "content".  Today, I'll mention one of my tricks for painting jig heads with nail polish.

Nail polish is one of the cheapest and easiest of paints to obtain for coloring jig heads.  Though, it's not durable and requires a clear coat to avoid chipping off.  Powder and vinyl paints are better choices for durability.  However, if you have a durable clear coat, nail polish provides some of the most interesting and artistic of colors.

I use a two-part, thirty-minute epoxy to clear coat jigs painted with nail polish.  One of the best and most readily available is Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy.

I buy nail polish when it's on sale at nearby department stores.  Often, popular makes and colors are reviewed on web blogs devoted to beauty and cosmetics.  Two that I find quite useful follow below:
What's great about these blogs is that they describe mixing colors together to achieve some very interesting color combinations.  Frequently, they will describe how many coats of a particular polish are necessary to produce an opaque color on the human nail.  This is handy when you want solid, non-metallic colors on your jig heads.  Newer lead is shiny after all.

I hope that you find these sites interesting and useful if you paint your jig heads with nail polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment