Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Little "Jack Crawford" Style - I Hope

Felt like tying with feathers and came up with this little footballer.


Materials:
  • Brown saddle hackles (4)
  • Barred brown saddle hackles (2)
  • Brown craft fur
  • Number 6 bulky caramel-colored chenille yarn
  • Number 5 dark brown chenille yarn
  • Flat wax nylon thread (140 denier) - rusty brown
  • A 1/8-oz. football head jig with a 3/0 black nickel hook
Did a little web surfing recently and found a discussion of hair jigs made by the Jack Crawford Tackle Company.  It was interesting to me.  If I can find some color plates of the jigs, then perhaps I can create some very similar paint, feather, and fur combinations.  Otherwise, you'll just be stuck with my stuff. ;)

4 comments:

  1. This is really interesting to see that someone is making some Jack Crawford style jigs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Slinkeey. I hope to display several more, styled similarly, in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry from Little CanadaJuly 3, 2015 at 8:59 PM

    I just found this post and hope you are still actively tieing your Crawford style jigs. I still fish with some that I have since I bought them in the 70's. They still work for me, but I have difficulty replacing them as I loose a few on occasion. The Northlake Buckaroo jigs are close, but not quite the same, as they are a close match for only one or two of Jack's patterns. I still have five or six patterns, about 15 or 18 jigs in total, and wouldn't be without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More are, definitely, on the way. There have been some really good posts over at JigCraft.com covering the original jigs in the vintage tackle section of the forum.

      Thank you for your comment and please look for posts of some of my versions of Crawford-style jig ties in the coming weeks.

      Delete