Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Barring Practice & A Tinsel Jig

So, last night I decided to try to pattern another jig using a black Sharpie marker.  I chose a pattern I'll refer to as reverse countershading.  Countershading is a concept applied to aquatic organisms that are dark-colored on top (dorsally) and their colors lighten gradually as you look toward their bottom or belly (ventrally).  It's a theory that these organisms are less visible to predators when viewed from below against a light sky.  Also, it serves to make them less visible to predators when viewed from above against darker backgrounds.  Well, I'll modify this concept.  Why not design a jig to represent the opposite of this concept in order to gain an angling advantage?


This jig may be somewhat camouflaged by its bars when at rest in weedy or dark surroundings.  However,  it becomes increasingly visible as it moves through lighter surroundings.  The contrast between the black and yellow colors seem significant to me.  Granted, I'm not a fish. ;)

The second jig has a single strand of gold tinsel along each side to provide light-reflecting flash against the black silhouette of its craft fur body.

2 comments:

  1. Those are looking good Pup. We might have to talk some more :) Start planning to pencil in a late April/early May crappie trip to do some more "field testing."

    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brian. Let me know if you're interested in any particular jig(s). Also, I'd be happy to join you for a crappie trip this spring and will definitely keep that thought in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete